How to Make a Christmas Matcha Log
By Fiona Uyema
On December 7, 2016
This is one of my favorite cakes to bake all year around but it works particularly well as a Christmas-themed dessert. The vibrant green from the matcha powder and the red from the strawberries turn this simple roulade recipe into a festive fusion treat that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
The perfect combination of a traditional Yule Log (Bûche de Noël) and distinct Japanese flavors, try this recipe for your family and friends in Japan over the festive season. You can prepare it a few days in advance and store in the fridge – the hard thing will be trying not to eat it beforehand!
Christmas Matcha Log
- 4 eggs (卵)
- 100g white sugar (白砂糖)
- 100g plain flour (sieved) (小麦粉)
- 1 tbsp matcha powder (抹茶)
- 1 large pot of whipped cream (生クリーム)
- Icing/powdered sugar for dusting (パウダーシュガー)
- Sliced strawberries for filing and decorating (イチゴ)
- Greaseproof parchment/baking paper
- A sheet pan for roll cake (10″ x 15″or 13″ x 9″)
- Christmas stencils for decorating
- Preheat a fan oven to 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer for about 10 minutes until nice and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour and matcha together a few times to make sure the matcha powder is completely mixed into the flour.
- Using a large spoon fold the sieved flour into the egg and sugar mix. Make sure that the flour is completely mixed in so that you see no lumps.
- Carefully line a baking tin with greaseproof/baking paper (I grease this lightly with butter). Pour the batter onto the baking tin (using a spatula gently even out the batter).
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the sheet pan.
- Turn the cake over onto a clean dish towel. Now carefully tear away the greaseproof paper from the cake.
- Roll the cake in a clean tea towel and allow to cool (this will avoid it breaking later).
- Unroll the cake when it is cool.
- Spread the whipped cream mix evenly on the cake and place the strawberry slices uniformly in rows on the fresh cream. Roll again and dust with icing sugar.
- Decorate with strawberries and icing sugar (using the Christmas stencils).