How to Make Chirashizushi
By Fiona Uyema
On December 30, 2016
Although sushi is usually not made in Japanese homes, chirashizushi (sushi rice in a box or bowl with a variety of ingredients sprinkled on top) is one exception — most likely because no rolling is required for this particular kind. It’s served at family tables across the country to celebrate the New Year holidays — an example of osechi ryouri, which is Japanese food traditionally served and eaten during the first few days of January.
This type of sushi rice is served with a variety of ingredients mixed through it and also placed on top. Although osechi dishes are typically served in beautiful lacquer boxes, if you don’t have one at hand then your best china will do! My favorite part is always the beautiful yellow ribbons that are made from egg by simply frying it like a crêpe and then cutting it into thin strips.
Hope you enjoy and wishing you a Happy Japanese New Year from Ireland. 明けましておめでとうございます！
- Sushi rice (寿司米)
- Vegetable oil (植物油)
- Sesame oil (胡麻油)
- Soy sauce (to serve) (しょうゆ)
- Black sesame seeds (to garnish) (黒ごま)
For the sushi fillings and toppings
- 2 eggs, beaten (卵)
- ½ yellow pepper and ½ red pepper, cut into small cubes (ピーマン)
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes (アボカド)
- 8 large prawns, cut into bitesize pieces (エビ)
- To make the egg crêpe for the yellow ribbons to decorate the top of the sushi rice, lightly oil a non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil and place on a medium to high heat. Depending on the size of your pan, place about half the beaten egg on the frying pan so you have a very thin layer of egg like a crêpe.
- Now adjust the heat to low and leave the egg in the pan until the edges of the crêpe start to break away from the pan. Transfer to a large plate and set aside. Continue to do this until all the beaten egg is cooked.
- Place the egg crêpes on top of each other as they are cooked. When you’re finished, roll the pile of egg crêpes together. Then using a sharp knife cut into thin ribbons.
- Allow the seasoned sushi rice to cool to room temperature, and then mix half of the peppers, avocado and prawns into the rice. Place in a large serving dish.
- Scatter the remaining ingredients on top of the rice mix including the egg ribbons.
- For extra flavour lightly drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce all over and garnish with sesame seeds.
Decorate with whole prawns and caviar to make this dish look even more impressive.