Autumn is one of my favourite seasons. This week the trees in our town started to change colour giving me the perfect excuse to go for long walks and admire the beautiful colours.
Of course, Halloween is a big part of the season. When I was a foreign exchange student in Gunma prefecture, I celebrated Halloween with a group of my college friends. I can still vividly remember cycling through Takasaki town center dressed as a witch with seven other friends cycling behind me in various scary costumes. I think the town had no idea what hit them!
This recipe is perfect to use when you have leftover pumpkin seeds. Full of nutritional benefits and very popular in Japan, this was one of my favourite snacks when I lived there and I missed them so much when I returned to Ireland.
These basic instructions to make roasted pumpkin seeds can be used in other recipes too. If you have any suggestions for seasoning, let us know in the comments below.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Leftover pumpkin seeds from one large pumpkin (かぼちゃの種)
- Rapeseed oil/ Vegetable oil (植物油)
- Freshly ground salt & pepper (塩とコショウ)
- Cayenne pepper (カイエンペッパー)
- Nana togarashi/ Shicimi togarashi (七味唐辛子)
- Soy Sauce (しょうゆ)
- Wash the pumpkin seeds in water removing any pulp attached to the seeds.
- Dry the pumpkin seeds using kitchen towel.
- Season with a small bit of oil and your preferred seasoning option listed above.
- Place the seeds evenly on a baking tray in a preheated oven (150°C) for about 40 minutes until the seeds have a nice golden brown colour.
- Try not to overcook the seeds as they will become hard and won’t taste great.
- Store in an airtight container for up to five days.